The Stuffed Loaf is a favorite in our house! It is a perfect grab and go meal. Meat, cheese and vegetables, everything you need for dinner, is inside the loaf!
The recipe makes 2 loaves (my food-devouring kids eat both of these for a meal!). If your family won’t eat both loaves, you can freeze the extra! I often times make 4 loaves at a time so that I can freeze 2 for another meal.
On the day that I am going to make the Stuffed Loaf, I get the dough out of the freezer in the morning, so it is thawed and doubled in size by the time I am ready to make it.
Roll the dough out and load it up with your toppings:
If your family doesn’t like spinach, feel free to leave it out! I actually think the taste is VERY mild. My kids love raw spinach, but are not fans of it cooked. In this recipe, though, they never complain about not liking the spinach, so I always add it! We’ve got to get the vegetables in even when we are in a hurry!.
Roll up the loaf and place it seam side down on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle on some parmesan and pop in the oven.
I cut wide pieces for the kids to grab. If we need to do dinner on the run, just cut and wrap in foil to keep warm!
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough (1lb each)
- 1 lb Italian Sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ c. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 t. oregano
- ½ t. garlic powder
- 2 T. butter, cubed
- olive oil
- Thaw bread dough and let rise until doubled.
- Mix sausage, spinach, cheeses, oregano, and garlic powder; set aside.
- Roll each loaf of bread into a 14x12 inch rectangle.
- Spread sausage mixture lengthwise down the center of each rectangle. Dot with butter.
- Bring edges of dough to the center of filling; pinch to seal. Place on greased baking sheet seam sides down.
- Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 min. or until golder brown.
- Let stand 5-10 min. before cutting.
- *Can freeze a loaf (cool and wrap in foil)
- TO USE FROZEN LOAF: Thaw at room temperature for 2 hours. Unwrap and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min. or until heated through./